Templeport Development Association logo

Standing Stone at KilnavartExplore Bawnboy& Ballymagauran Gateway to West Cavan
in the Heart of Templeport Parish

Steeped in Archaeology, History, Heritage and Legend.
Ideally located in the centre of the Marble Arch Global Geopark.

This page was taken from the Tourist Information Leaflet launched on 20th May 2016
The photos taken at the launch are here

Tourist information map
The letters on map locations above refer to the features below.
The BawnbA. The Bawn - Bawnboy
This was an Ulster Plantation Fort, probably built on the site of an old Magauran stronghold in about 1610
The place name, Bawnboy, derives from the Irish, An Badhun Bui - the yellow enclosure, because of the colour of the sand used in its construction. (Access with landowner’s permission)

St Patrick's Church KilnavartG. St Patrick’s Church, Kilnavart
St Patrick established this Church at Kilnavart, after the overthrow of Crom Cruaich.
A 1609 Baronial map shows a church in the same grounds. In the eighteenth century it was reported that “At Kilnavart are the remains of an ancient monastery with an extensive burial place still in use”.
A thatched church with clay floors and a gallery was built between 1780 and 1790. That church was replaced in 1867-8 with the present building designed by William Hague of Cavan.

Jampa Ling Buddhist CentreB. Jampa Ling Tibetan Buddhist Centre - Owendoon House
This fine mid-nineteenth century house is set in wooded parkland stretching down towards Lakefield Lake. It is now a retreat house of Tibetan Buddhism. (Private Property. Visitors are always welcome, please telephone 049 9523448)
www.jampaling.org
Killycluggin StoneH. The Killycluggin Stone
Unearthed close by in 1922, the Killycluggin Stone is nationally important as only four similar stones have ever been discovered. The stone, a decorated early Celtic artefact, was removed in 1973, and placed in the County Museum at Ballyjamesduff. A replica monument now stands beside the main Ballyconnell - Ballinamore road near the location where the original was found.

Bawnboy WorkhouseC. Bawnboy Workhouse
This fine stone building dates from 1852. It served the area of West Cavan, South Leitrim and part of South Fermanagh. Although built for 500 people it never functioned at its full potential, however, its ample spare capacity was used to serve the broader community in different ways down through the years. It closed in 1979.
www.workhouse.bawnboy.com

St Peter's Church TempleportI. St Peter's Church Templeport
A fifteenth century Vatican document records the presence of a Church on this site. The building was ceded to the established (Anglican) Church in 1594. The fine neo-gothic Church that stands here now was re-built in 1815. The Parish of Templeport derives its name from this site, Teampall an Phoirt (The Church on the bank).
www.bawnboy.com/stpeters-church

Holy Trinity Barn ChurchD. Holy Trinity (Barn) Church, Kildoagh
Built in 1796, Holy Trinity Church is a rare example of a Barn Church. The austerity of the building, and the fact that almost nothing had been altered since it was built makes it of great importance.
www.bawnboy.com/holy-trinity-barn-church

Ruin Church on St Mogue's IslandJ. St Mogue's Island
This is reputedly the birth place of St Mogue (Aidan), a noted early Irish saint. It contains early Christian monastic ruins and a graveyard. The Island in Templeport lake features largely in local tradition and folklore.
It entered the realms of modern folklore in 1943 with the crash of an RAF Beaufighter.
For the full story visit: www.bawnboy.com/Beaufighter-JL710
Boat trips may be arranged by contacting the T.D.A.
Ballymaguran CastleE. Ballymagauran Castle
This Jacobean house, now ruined, was built circa 1615 - 20. It was erected during the Ulster Plantation, under whose terms the land was granted back to the local Magauran chieftain.
(Access with landowner’s permission)
Brackley Lake with CranogK. Brackley Lake / Crannóg
With a circumference of over 30 kilometres, Brackley is one of the largest lakes in the area. A crannóg or artificial island can be easily seen from the amenity car park beside the main road. Crannógs were used as dwellings and for holding animals in times of trouble for over two thousand years.
Brackley Lake is a popular amenity for water sports enthusiasts.
Kilnavart Magalithic TombF. Kilnavart Megalithic Tomb
This late Bronze Age structure would have been covered by a cairn of stones but all that remains is the well preserved burial chamber. The two adjacent pillar stones may be connected to the site.
(Access with landowner’s permission)
View from Corneen Wind Farm towards TempleportL. Corneen Wind Farm Viewing Point
These two elegant structures are a fine example of modern built heritage. Their location affords a superb panorama of Templeport and further afield.
A short distance further north, near the summit, is Millstone Hill, where early mill technology was practised through the cutting of millstones.

Other attractions within 30 minutes’ drive from Bawnboy:

Cavan Burren Park
The Shannon Pot
Marble Arch Caves
Cuilcagh Mountain Park
Florence Court House & Gardens
Tullydermot Falls
Gortalughany Viewpoint
Ballyconnell Canal Walk
Glenview Folk Museum
Enniskillen Castle
For information about The Global Geopark Network visit: www.marblearchcavesgeopark.com


For further information about Templeport and Bawnboy please visit:
www.bawnboy.com or return to the home page and navigate to the other pages

The TDA also has a Facebook page at: www.facebook.com/TempleportDevelopmentAssociation

Guided tours can be arranged by contacting the T.D.A.
To contact the Templeport Development Association please
You may need to enable Java script.
Or you may telephone:
+ 353 (0) 87 4518859

This tourist information leaflet has been produced by Templeport Development Association with the assistance of Cavan County Council

Images of the printed version of the Tourist Information Leaflet may be found at these links which should open in new windows.
Front and map
Inside

Top